Skip to main content
Article IV. Application for Service
This article is included in your selections.
This section is included in your selections.

A. Application for Service. A request for service must be made by each applicant for domestic water service in such format as defined by the district. The district may establish reasonable means to verify applicant’s identity. Upon verification of applicant’s identity, the district may provide for written applications to be completed and accepted electronically, by mail, in person or other appropriate means of delivery. An applicant may be required to establish creditworthiness as provided in CVWDC 3.05.270(A). There is a fee to establish or transfer an account if the district approves the application for service. The fee is listed in Appendix Y of this chapter. Upon district’s acceptance of application, domestic water service will be established the following business day. The district may discontinue service if an application is erroneous, not complete, and the errors are not cured by the property owner after notice deemed adequate by the district. All applicants will be advised of this provision when the district is contacted for service.

Each time there is a change of customer (either property owner or tenant) on any commercial or industrial property, the new or previous property owner or customer shall notify the district immediately.

B. Property Owner Responsibility. Domestic water service, and the payment thereof, in all cases, shall be the responsibility of the property owner. The property owner may authorize, in writing, that a second party, such as a tenant, may establish service in their name. The property owner shall be held responsible for payment of all amounts due for domestic water service, including all bills, costs, loss, damage, penalties, charges, or fees regardless of user or use. If the property owner has authorized a second party, such as a tenant, to establish service and receive billing for service, a completed application form shall be required from the second party.

The district, as a courtesy, may allow the property owner to authorize a tenant to be billed for service. This courtesy is at the discretion of the district and, as such, the district may transfer service from a tenant back to the property owner and refuse to allow future service to be billed to a tenant. In such circumstances the property owner will receive all billing statements.

C. Description of Property. The applicant shall describe the property to be served and only the property described will receive domestic water through such service connection. The description shall include street address, city, assessor’s parcel number and other information, including plumbing and building plans, to enable the district to determine the level of cross connection protection required. The district may refuse domestic water service to any property where apparatus, appliances or equipment using water are dangerous, unsafe or not in conformity with pertinent laws, ordinances, or regulations. The district will not assume responsibility for inspecting the property.

Any alterations to existing facilities on the property that may affect the level of cross connection protection required must be reported immediately to the district.

D. Description of Water Usage. The applicant shall describe the domestic water demand for the property to be served, including the required maximum flow (in gallons per minute) and minimum pressure (in pounds per square inch) required at the meter. For dwelling units required to install a residential fire sprinkler system, the applicant shall also provide the type of residential fire sprinkler system (multipurpose or standalone), the maximum flow (in gallons per minute) and minimum pressure (in pounds per square inch) required for the residential fire sprinkler system. (Ord. 1399.13 § 4-1, 2019)